A grand piano is a statement of sophistication and elegance. This piece can turn a living room into a performance area when entertaining or into a corner to play music and make memories with grandchildren.
However you decide to use your instrument, proper placement of a grand piano in your living room is crucial for the design and functionality of your home.
We know that the living room is one of the most important rooms in the house. This is where you kick off your shoes at the end of the day or where you gather to relax with loved ones. You want a space that is beautiful, elegant, and functional. And where you place your grand piano can make or break the flow of this room.
In this article, we’ll go over some tried and tested tips for grand piano placement that will preserve the integrity of the instrument, allow it to sound its best, and create a living room you can be proud of.
Grand Piano in Living Room Placement Dos and Don’ts
We’ll start by going over some of the basic dos and don’ts for creating a modern living room with a grand piano.
- DO make sure there is plenty of space between the piano and furniture pieces for walkways.
- DON’T place your piano in the line of direct sunlight. This will help to prevent fading in the finishing and stop the wood from drying and cracking.
- DO keep the piano away from windows, heating units, or air conditioning air ducts. The changing temperature makes the wood on the piano expand and contract, causing damage.
- DON’T place the piano directly by a door. You want to make sure all doors can swing fully open without contacting the piano.
- DO face the open side of the lid towards your seating area. This will ensure that the sound from the piano is flowing towards your audience.
Determining Size and Space
The next key considerations are the size of your space and the width of your piano.
The most important thing in piano placement is that it is the appropriate size for your living room. If it is too big or there are too many furniture pieces, the space can feel cluttered, taking away from the comfort of the room.
The average width of a grand piano is five feet, so when choosing a piano, you must measure your living room and the spot you want to place the grand piano for it to fit comfortably. Be sure to leave two to three feet of space for the piano bench.
Creating a Focal Point
When designing a room, one of our main considerations is defining a focal point. A focal point is the place where the eye lands when you walk into a room, and it will affect the rest of the design decisions made in that space.
A grand piano in your living room can serve as the perfect focal point. Here are some tricks to make your piano the star of the room:
- Place your piano under its own light to make it truly stand out. This can be under a ceiling light, a large arc floor lamp, or even a chandelier.
- Give it space. Make sure that the piano has its own “spot” in the room and isn’t pushed up against any walls or pieces of furniture.
- Dress it up. Draw the eye to your piano by adding a colorful textile to the bench or by placing vibrant photos on the wall behind it.
Making a Plan
A great design is a detailed design.
This level of preciseness can only happen with a well-thought-out floor plan. This is an essential step in our design process, and you can work with Alisha Taylor to create the perfect layout of your living room with an upright piano.
We’ll start by creating a 2D representation of your living room space and marking all of the non-moving features such as windows and doors. Then, we’ll list out all of the furniture pieces that you want to keep in the living room, such as rugs, chairs, couches, and side tables.
Don’t be afraid to play with the layout! Try different furniture arrangements until you find one that you like. This allows you to test out different room designs without having to lug heavy furniture back and forth.
Bring Your Dream Living Room to Life
We understand that you want your living room to be both a comfortable place to unwind and a reflection of who you are. And that’s why we’re here to assist you with placing your grand piano perfectly in your living room.
When you work with Alisha Taylor as your designer, you can trust that the placement of every last item will be considered in creating your perfect home. Whether you are building a home from the ground up or remodeling an existing room, you can put your trust in our expert design and project management skills.
Contact us today to get started with the design process!